We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Survey page question limit.

Questions and answers about Plum Survey

Moderators: admin, support

evanl@peopleclues.com

Survey page question limit.

Post by evanl@peopleclues.com »

Hi Ted, here's the issue.

I have used the survey builder font end to create 120 questions for our survey. This page then calls our code to submit all 120 answers to us. There is no limit as to how many questions I can create on the front end, and it's not until I am calling in and testing it, I realized it drops the call at question 99.

So, due to our deadlines, is it possible to set the upper limit of the number of questions you can have on one page to 140? We will never need more then 140 questions on a page.

Thanks!

support

limits of IVR system to prevent users from overloading it

Post by support »

We've looked into your issue and have determined that you are coming up against a limit we have built into our voice platform to prevent individual users from overloading the IVR system. We would strongly advise you to break up your page into smaller pieces and submit to your webservice with multiple calls. There are a few reasons for this:
  • Performance would improve significantly. Right now the IVR platform has to load resources for 120 questions before it enters your 4th page. That includes things like grammars, audio files, etc. which can get quite large once you have recorded the prompts... Currently there is a noticeable delay before you begin this page and this is due to the sheer amount of content that needs to be loaded.
  • Submissions to your webservice would happen more frequently, so you can save responses even if somebody hangs up halfway. Right now, if somebody hangs up after 70 questions or the call drops unexpectedly you will have no submission to the WS at all.
  • Submissions to your webservice would be smaller and quicker, which lessens the processing delay at the end of each page.
  • The editor interface would load faster.
If your webservice is already using an IVR session to tie responses across two pages, our IVR platform will easily supply cookies for a third or a fourth.

We agree that the builder interface should provide a warning about this, and we will update it accordingly. Unfortunately we do have to set such limits to prevent users from loading overly large files into our IVR platform and impacting our quality of service...