We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Web Service Error

Questions and answers about Plum Survey

Moderators: admin, support

evanl@peopleclues.com

Web Service Error

Post by evanl@peopleclues.com »

How would I deal with an actual ERRROR returned in either a subdialog call or Web Service? Is there a choice text I can add to direct it to an error page? I looked in the docs, and didn't see how to do error catching.

Thanks!

support

Use of subdialog and webservices for IVR survey

Post by support »

ERROR's returned during an IVR subdialog or webservice are at the SOAP level or higher, so it means that your service is returning a SoapFault, doesn't have a compatible function definition, is returning the wrong type, is not returning a normal HTTP status code, or cannot be reached. Any of these errors should be addressed before you deploy any IVR survey, because they are fatal to the subdialog or webservice process. We don't have a way of trapping them within the IVR survey to redirect the IVR call in any manner, the current situation is that they are silently skipped if possible and a warning is sent to your email with the error details.

If you want to return trappable errors, return them as normal string values from the SOAP service and provide choice skip logic. There's no choice text that automatically corresponds to the error condition. However, you could use another subdialog or webservice later in your IVR survey to see if the previous webervice or subdialog question was unanswered, which would indicate that it was skipped because there was an error, and then your second subdialog or webservice could return a string that you could branch on in choice skip logic. Unanswered questions are sent to subdialogs and webservices as zero-length strings.