We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

Moving datacenters, concerned with latency

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

ckidwell

Moving datacenters, concerned with latency

Post by ckidwell »

We are currently using Plum and connecting to our datacenters in the US. Around the start of next year we plan to move our datacenter to the EU. Upper management has expressed concerns with latency for customers on Plum. All functions called by Plum currently return relatively short text, I think that there is unlikely to be noticeable delay for customers caused by this move, but will need to check and confirm, either from Plum, or from other users. Additionally if there is anything we can change in our account to make EU responses better, we would appreciate it

support

Re: Moving datacenters, concerned with latency

Post by support »

Hi Chris,

Because the only requests that are going from our systems to the data centers are web services, that are small amounts of text which you've already mentioned, there should be no bandwidth or latency issues. The only other consideration is round trip network latency, which even in the worst case, the UK latency might add ~200 milliseconds to those requests: nothing that a user would perceive.

As for the question about anything that be changed on your end, at this time there is nothing that we offer that would alter how your application performs based on your data center location.

Hope that answers your questions. Let us know if you need further clarification or confirmation.

Regards,
Plum Support

ckidwell

Re: Moving datacenters, concerned with latency

Post by ckidwell »

Thank you, this answers the concerns and matches my expectations. I'm sure that upper management will be pleased to hear official feedback correlating that position.