We've Moved! Please visit our new and improved forum over at our new portal: https://portal.plumvoice.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

record maxtime ignored when phone muted

Questions and answers about IVR programming for Plum DEV

Moderators: admin, support

anztenney

record maxtime ignored when phone muted

Post by anztenney »

If I mute my phone before getting to a record prompt, the maxtime has no effect. I can leave my phone muted forever. Is there a way to get around this?

support

Re: record maxtime ignored when phone muted

Post by support »

Hi anztenney,

Please note that the "maxtime" property for your <record> tag only takes effect when the platform has detected speech input from the user. So, if a user mutes their phone before they reach the record prompt, you can set your prompt timeout to match your maxtime and then act upon it.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post a snippet of your VoiceXML code here to give us a better sense of what you're trying to accomplish.

Regards,
Plum Support

anztenney

Post by anztenney »

I'm wondering if there is a way to get finalsilence to work the same way? Does that only take effect after speech input is first heard?

Code: Select all

<record name="val1" type="audio/x-wav" finalsilence="5000ms" beep="false" dtmfterm="true" maxtime="90s">
	<prompt bargein="false" timeout="90s">
		<audio src="http://...">Please describe your experience.</audio>
	</prompt>
</record>

anztenney

Post by anztenney »

I've tried the following record block, but it doesn't seem to ever stop, event after the prompt timeout if I have my phone muted. Do I need to add a nomatch section?

Code: Select all

<record name="commentAnswer" maxtime="20s" dtmfterm="true" type="audio/x-wav" beep="false" finalsilence="21s">
	<prompt bargein="false" timeout="21s">What skills do you offer that would make us want to hire you?  You have 20 seconds after the beep.<audio src="..."></audio></prompt>
</record>

support

Post by support »

Hi anztenney,

We would recommend adding <noinput> and <nomatch> handlers within your <record> tag for the platform to act upon if the user has their phone muted.

Also, just wanted to add a couple of clarifications regarding the properties you are using:

1) For the "finalsilence" property of the <record> tag, this is the interval of silence that indicates the end of speech. So, when the user has finished speaking, the platform would wait this amount of time for the user to say anything else before considering the recording finished.

2) For the "maxtime" property of the <record> tag, this is the maximum duration of time for the user to record their message once they've started speaking. Once

3) For the "timeout" property of the <prompt> tag, this is the amount of time the platform would wait for input.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Plum Support